Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chicken Tikka Masala.






Tumeric, Cumin, Coriander, Garam Masala, mustard seeds, cardamom pods, paprika, Cheyenne...so many spices!

I first saw this recipe being made on food network and decided to make it! I love to try new spices and herbs, and Indian cuisine uses so many spices rich in color, flavor, aroma! (and did I mention amazing health benefits?!) I was super excited to try using many of these spices for the first time.

I looked for a recipe online and followed step by step using this instructional video (yet another option for finding new recipes :)
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-chicken-tikka-masala

In addition to the chicken (which turned out delicious btw) I wanted to accompany the beautiful dish with an equally exotic side, I found and used a pre-made spice mix for a cabbage and snap pea dish (found at sprouts, see image above). The spices included in this packet may be duplicated, and would simply require additional time for acquiring them and measuring them out. However pre-packaged spice mixes are a nice option for when you dont have enough time, or little interest in spending all day in the kitchen.

Cooking a meal together with a friend made the experience so much more fun! And having someone to share that meal with even better! I must say the veggie side was my favorite! wow. only day 5 and I've already tried so many new meals, tried new spices and learned about different foods, cultures, and traditions. one of the many interesting things I learned, was that in Indian culture before a marriage it is customary for the bride to bath in tumeric, because of its strong health benefits and "healing" properties!

Even with food, When i decide to step outside the ordinary, the familiar, the "known", comforting and "safe", I find I open myself to so much more of all the beauty (including tastes!) the world has to offer.

Let the journey continue!