Tuesday, October 5, 2010

~Paleo~ MY WAY!

I just spent the last 30 days traveling to different cities in the U.S. and island hopping. On my travels I tried and experienced soooo many different local/traditional dishes, desserts, fruits, drinks! AMAZING!

I am SO thankful to be in a place in my life where I can truly enjoy so many beautiful tastes and share them with loved ones without guilt, shame, or remorse! and also without making food (over eating!) my life. So COMPLETELY satisfied by LIFE and LIVING! that food doesn't need to fill that role anymore :)

For many years, practically my whole life....my weight, food, dieting,were a battle. A battle I never seemed to win. There were points in my life when my "diet" consisted of all protein shakes. all day, everyday, and nothing else, until i reached that magic number. There was also the grilled chicken and brown rice phase ... no salt! gross. i might as well have been eating cardboard! i remember literally feeling like the meal would never end as I chewed the tasteless chicken. chewing my meal felt like a laboring act! there was the fruits and almonds phase or "diet". and many more! and of course, after each phase of such extreme rigidity came the binging. trying to satisfy for all the deprivation that was experienced. and what did this lead to? Lose weight, gain weight. again, and again. exhausting cycle. and such an immense sense of failure :(

at this point in my life I will not invest any moment or effort in doing (or eating!) something that doesn't bring life to me! enjoyment. happiness. energy.richness. strength!

DO (and eat) WHAT YOU LOVE!
at every moment.
because seriously, we only live once.

Anyway, As a result of my journey with weight, Through the years I've educated myself, reading tons of books, getting certified as a holistic nutritionist, and have learned sooo much about nutrition and cooking taking many fun & whole foods cooking classes! And (in my opinion) most importantly, acquired many perspectives and insights for finding and developing a beautiful healthy relationship with food and body image. {LOVE & Self acceptance is at the root of it all!}

Why am I talking about all this?
This morning at my crossfit gym they started the "90 day paleo challenge". So im gonna do it! AND IM EXCITED!

BUT im def gonna do it MY WAY!

I pretty much follow a paleo "diet" already, And I have for about 2 years (god i hate the word diet!!!! grrr!) except I prefer to refer to it as WHOLE FOODS :) think natural, nourishing, fresh foods! (fruits, vegetables, meats, etc etc) ..but I must state for the record that I currently intake things that don't fall under this descriptions: alcohol, diet coke, and desserts (cheeese cake!) when i feel like it. yum! haha )

MY MISSION:
I am on a mission to cook a new and delicious "paleo"/WHOLE FOODS meal each day! To prove ( because I completely believe!) that food can be both GOOD FOR YOU and just plain GOOOOOOD!

people (friends & Fam) are always asking me what I eat, and want me to tell them what to eat. (I hate to answer the question because I don't like to tell people what to eat.think about it....would you let someone tell you what to wear everyday? how to do your hair? how to raise your child? what religion to follow? Hopefully not! well, in that same manner no one should tell them what you what to eat! Everyone is different, and every body has different needs!

So Here, for the next 90 days. Im going to share recipes, my daily "paleo" meals, different perspectives/insights on nutrition and well being, and things that I have found work for ME. Please take what I share, then take what you like and make it YOUR own. Because this is YOUR life, you have to be true to YOU, your preferences, your priorities, your lifestyle, and live it YOUR way :)


Hope my sharing helps!