Wednesday, October 6, 2010

~MY WAY~ day #2





Today was a cold rainy day. As I sat in one of my patients room looking out the window I decided I wanted to make something warm and home-y for dinner. Then i decided to ask my patient for her recipe of chicken soup, or as us mexicans call it: Caldo de pollo. MMMmm! So I wrote down her recipe on the back of a paper, and told her I'd bring her some the next day so she can taste it :)

2 things id like to point out:
thing one- eating well is NOT expensive. All it took was a squash, 1 carrot, celeray, cabbage, garlic, onion, and chicken. I stopped by the grocery store on my way home and paid: $0.14 for carrot, $0.19-squash, $0.97 chicken etc etc.

thing two- ive come to learn that traditional aka "ethnic" foods as they like to call'em a lot of times make great "paleo" or whole food dishes. Because back in the day, before the time of processed foods, people actually ate REAL food, the things our bodies were made to consume. So i plan to explore and blog about many many foods rich in culture, history, and flavor! recipes dont always have to come from a book, or a website... people are walking recipe books, and there is so much to learn from them! so dont be afraid to ask its a great way to learn little tips & secrets for great (and never boring!) cookin!

The soup turned out delicious! and cant wait to let her try it and see what she thinks.

- Ingredients:
3 cloves garlice
1/2 onion
chicken
.......all put to boil with sal and pepper to taste.

-add slices carrots, celery, mexican squash and cabbage then let cook at a lower temperature.
-Towards the end of cooking ingredients in pot add mexican calabaza (squash) because it cooks quicker, and its important not to overcook veggeatbles ;)

Perfect for a rainy day!


OH! and one more thing, I usually cook for ~2-4 servings at a time! i eat, and then use ziplock freezer bags for the additional food. I mark the baggie with the name of food and the date it was made. put it in the freezer and take it out in the morning, quick , early, and ready to take to work for lunch.

Whatever YOUR meal consists of...
BON a PETIT!