Monday, February 7, 2011

KALE chips. KALE muffins.

First off, im thankful for a new opportunity. I was approached by the owner of my current crossfit gym (having checked out the blog) to write about paleo recipes incorporating their weekly food co-op services. So, officially a part of the food co-op at my crossfit gym, each week I'll be bringing home a box full of fresh, organic fruits, vegetables and eggs (different each week), and Each week i'll experiment with & write about at least one new recipe featuring one or more of the ingredients in the weekly/paleo food box.

This week featuring: KALE.

KALE, KALE, KALE.
As i walk into the gym's office to pick up my box, the first thing I notice is a WHOLE LOT OF KALE. Uhhh...yummm???? I must admit, Kale was a vegetable, that until I took nutrition courses, i had never even heard about. It was one of those vegetables at the grocery store that I never even noticed enough to even wonder what it was. Fortunately, I now know enough about it to pick it out from a line up. Kale has a bad reputation with some folks (similar to that of sprouts 'n broccoli) but really, its not all that bad; especially when taken the time to prepare... with the right spices, herbs, etc... yes, Kale can taste good, and here are a couple recipe's to prove it!

First recipe I experimented with:

Kale OMELETTE MUFFIN
( adapted from Mark's Daily Apple- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/omelet-muffins/ )

I lightly boiled the kale in a large pot with water and some salt. Then, in a pan i lightly sauteed finely chopped onions garlic (I love these two together for a whole lot of flavor!), plus not-so-finely chopped portabella mushrooms (also included in weekly food box), then finally chopped the precooked kale and threw that in the pan, along with some salt and pepper. In a large bowl I added all of the sauteed ingredients with the dozen fresh, organic eggs then poured mixture into a 12 muffin, muffin pan. Placed them in the oven until they rose and were fully cooked. (you can check this by putting a toothpick in one, toothpick comes out clean when they are completely cooked through)

Having finished baking the "muffins" I then ate a couple,....and put the rest in the freezer. These are seriously perfect! For those rushed mornings before work, Just pop'em in the microwave/toaster oven...and voila! Breakfast is served. Wholesome, nutritious, delicious, to start the day off right.

KALE CHIPS:

My roommate actually found this fun recipe in a magazine article, and shared it with me when she saw me walk in with a box brimming with kale. The magazine instructed to toss kale with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and place in oven to make Kale chips. simple. The only change I made was to use my MISTO oils spray ( spray can for oils, which enables you to "spray" oil ..see picture below or check out online http://www.amazon.com/Misto-M100S-Gourmet-Brushed-Aluminum/dp/B00004SPZV) to lightly spray Kale strips with olive oil, salt, then place in oven. The kale chips were crunchy, krispy, and delicious. You can eat them plain, or use with a dip, like guacamole, hummus, salsa, etc. A great alternative for potato chips! and sooooo easy to make. When I googled the recipe, in search for variations I also came across this DIY kale chip video, check it out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/02/how-to-make-kale-chips-re_n_523185.html

well, even after these 2 recipes there was still kale left to use, but here's at least two options for this awesome and nutrient packed sea vegetable.

ABOUT KALE:
Kale is high up in the SUPERFOOD, food list. It is packed with potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, Beta-carotene, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and fiber.

Kale, and other dark leafy greens (ie mustard, collards and turnip greens) are of very high nutrient density and very cleansing, but they are practically indigestible consumed raw or only lightly steamed. It is important to cook these greens to "maximize their benefits and minimize/avoid digestive distress". The values of vitamins and minerals are found to be nearly identical if cooked for 8 minutes at boiling temperature, so loss of nutrient value should not be of concern.

ABOUT LIFE:

“He who refuses to embrace a unique opportunity loses the prize as surely as if he had failed.”

William James