Saturday, October 23, 2010

Kare Kare, Bagoong. Lunch trip to the Philipinnes. & SHARING






Oxtail, Banana blossom!
Since I started working as a traveling therapist in July, I have en blessed to have worked with many Filipino individuals in the rehabilitation setting. One thing that stood out to me immediately, was the importance of sitting down to share a meal. Not even in my own home or family had I experienced this with such consistency or treated with such regard and importance.

I've worked in a couple different hospitals now, with different individuals, and have observed that same thing. Its fabulous!

Regardless of if its a ham 'n cheese sandwich, olive garden leftovers, or if someone brought in a homemade meal or cut-up mango to share ...everyone STOPS. stops working. stops doing whatever they are doing, then SIT. sit AND ENJOY THEIR MEAL TOGETHER. (emphasis on ENJOY. no rushing, no stand-eating. no work-eating. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Stop and enjoy. TOGETHER! Offering & sharing, asking & trying. Food passing across the table. A meal is truly a thing to "share", to share as an experience, a time of the day. to simply BE and Share.

I LOVE IT. and will keep that with me. I felt so very welcomed from the beginning, to the (unfortunately) dying tradition Of an actual family "mealtime". Its such a significant thing, that even when it wasn't family, it very soon starts to feel like family.

Speaking of which, this week I started at a new facility, moving to Los Angeles, and is my first time moving after my first 3 month placement. I am in awe at how strong of attachments (the spanish word: carino is perfect to describe the feeling)and unique bonds form so quickly when you are open to it. There are such beautiful people, hearts, minds, everywhere. A part of me mourns the change. Leaving the cross fit gym where I became stronger, became part not of a gym, but of a little community of people becoming, and pushing each other to become stronger together. the hectic little hospital where I learned so much (as a professional and as an individual) and met many inspiring individuals who overcome, and continuously fight, on a daily basis through so much, still finding joy through it all. Ill miss being within such close proximity of some truly one of a kind friends and uniquely beautiful creatures (one indian lover, and my 2 hot Filipino boys) who have taught me A LOT about my true meaning of beauty, love and friendship. AND I will always be grateful my time here, it brought me closer to my family. Bike rides, potluck, sangria. carne asada tacos with no tortilla! Priceless.

But as I let that part of me mourn, I am also happy. So happy and truly blessed to have been able to meet all these people, learn from them, share with them. And no matter where I go, the important things (the lessons, the memories) will always be in my heart.
If the difficulty of change was enough to stop from changing, I would have never left home, my family and friends BUT would not have experienced and met and shared with all the amazing people that I have! Besides, when we truly want to keep people in our lives they are only a text, call, FB message, or visit away!!

Seeing how much I have experienced in only 3 months, I cant even imagine what i will be looking back on in 3 more.... So I wont try! Ill just worry about today. Live today. Do, LOVE and BE all I am capable of today. never hold back, never give up! Fail. before the fear of failure stops me prematurely.
live it.
experience it.
SHARE IT.

Ok so about Kare Kare & Bagoong:

Today I was at a new facility and one of the physical therapists (yes filipino haha <3) brought in "Kare Kare" for lunch (consists of OXTAIL! eggplant, BANANA BLOSSOM! beet, string beans & beef in a rich peanut sauce). She also brought Bagoong (a shrimp paste) used on top of the dish as a sort of condiment (like salsa, A1, or ketchup).

"Brenda, come on lets eat" ...not really a question, not really an order, a wholehearted invitation to join them as they share a meal.

"Kare Kare is a special treat in the Philippines" she says to me, "Because not a lot of people know how to make and we don't get to eat it very often"

When you experience a meal from another culture, there is so much more to it than just the food. SO MUCH MORE. Rich in culture, and stories from those who make it a part of their daily lives.

I wonder....If we all shared ALL we have, all we are,all the love we have to give, with one another so wholeheartedly, enjoying doing so, how would things be different?

Well, I didn't cook a new meal today, but I experienced one.
Shared one.
{Blessed}